Living Off The Grid
Please log in to join our conversations

Self Sufficient & Environmentally Sustainable Living

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi from Arkansas
Today at 12:10 am by crossboatr

» Where Do You Live?
Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:18 am by nimrod

» New an very interested
Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:44 am by Mud Springs

» DIY solar and wind
Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:11 am by papitohead

» Hello from Puerto Rico
Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:41 pm by papitohead

» Hello, From the USA
Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:28 am by AClarino

» Hello from the UK
Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:33 am by Tribeof5

» How to boost citrus trees & remove sooty mould on them?
Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:29 am by Arhsub

» My Little Intro.
Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:26 am by Arhsub

Ad
Affiliates
October 2014
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Ad
Affiliates
Most active topics
General Chat
What did you harvest today?
Buying a grid connect solar system. Who do I go through?
Planting for a Winter crop
Talk to me about Finger Limes
Pickled Cucumbers
Where Do You Live?
Hello I'm new and introducing myself
Soil Too Alkaline - How to Acidify it? (Increase the PH Levels)
Carrot, Beetroot & Fig Salad
Share | 

General Chat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Tallula Belle

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:45 am

I found a nice little quote this morning and wanted to share:

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant."

Have a lovely week, all. flower
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.livingoffthegrid.com.au
BlueSkyBee

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:41 pm

Yes, what a lovely quote!! Smile

YAY!!! Moving into our house on the 28th... so much packing to do, so little time!!!!!! I'm NOT moving again for at least 10 years....

My brain is in overdrive with all the possibilities..... Can't wait to sink my teeth into it all...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bugboy

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:18 am

Nice quote Very Happy

Huge congrats on the move BSB. I hear you on the not moving again for ten years, I'm over it too!

Let us know how you are going and what your new place is like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://towardsadream.wordpress.com
Tallula Belle

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:00 pm

Congratulations again, Angie. Smile

Do you have a linkie to the RE ad from when it was online? Can you PM it to me so I can have a lookie?

xo
Back to top Go down
BlueSkyBee

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:27 pm

Oh no, sorry, the ads have been taken down now, but I'll have some pics soon I'll share with y'all Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tallula Belle

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:19 am

Bummer! Looking forward to seeing photos Very Happy

I have some really really sad news.....

4 x platypus found dead in one of the lagoon-like parts of the creek that runs down one of the borders of our land. I want to nail the bastards who contaminated the water.

I am SO ANGRY and SO UPSET. I couldn't sleep at all last night. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Susie Wusie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:02 am

Oh dear that is terrible news. Platypus are so sensitive to that kind of thing. It must have been beautiful clean water for them to live there. To lose what sounds like a whole family is very heartbreaking. Are there any more billabongs on the creek?

Me? I have been slack my friends. I was sick with a cold for weeks and have been okay for a week now but I am still a little weak. The cough makes my chest ache and Winter onset here in the mountains isn't helping.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tallula Belle

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:28 pm

I found out that the platypus died in fishing nets. Really upsetting. I hope they weren't leaving fishing nets further down the creek where there are more platypus in several other billabongs.

I am sorry you have been so sick and sick for so long, Susie. I was sick for weeks and weeks with a flu after Poppi was born (8 months ago) and I'd start to get better then it would come back in force if I didn't look after myself REALLY REALLY WELL!!!! We were all sick.

So we have decided to rent out our cottage in the bush, permanently, to leave me time to grow more, research more, work more and most importantly, enjoy my girls. Hopefully it will create a better lifestyle for us so we are only going down there to enjoy the place, instead of rushing around fixing, cleaning and stocking up the wood pile.

I'd like to get some crops going down there that are reasonably self sufficient. I'd have to fence it off because of the cows and kanga's etc that will eat it. Anyone have any suggestions as to something that is okay to leave to it's own devices to grow? flower
Back to top Go down
bugboy

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   Tue May 22, 2012 9:52 pm

Pumpkins! Potatoes, carrots - most root veg i reckon. Fruit trees would be good too Smile

I've been busy busy and should really be in bed right now. Garden is ticking along nicely, got another bed ready on the weekend so I should be able to start planting in there next week. Have started another garden in a third of the chicken run too which is all starting to sprout. I could honestly just sit and watch my garden for hours on end LOL

We've also been doing lots of lantana/crofton weed/ wild raspberry/ stinking johnson removal. I have the scratches to prove it! All in preparation for our dexters sometime later this year hopefully - yippee!
Back to top Go down
green_dude

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   Sun May 27, 2012 10:48 am

Yeah I was going to say root vegetables too or a fruit orchard. Does it get very cold there in Winter?

Wow Bugboy are you getting Dexter COWS??? Are they going to be for meat or milk?

Plodding along here trying to adjust to the new seasons. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bugboy

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   Thu May 31, 2012 7:29 pm

Yep, Dexters. We are going to have a heifer for milk but we will also want to keep some for meat, probably cross bred with black angus as they breed well together.

I'm plodding along too, kind of in-between seasons and crops. Everything seems to be tiny or almost done. Have a new bed ready to plant in but my seedlings seem to be taking sooooooo long since the cold snap last week.
Back to top Go down
Tallula Belle

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:50 am

I am thinning out all of the spinach and lettuce seedlings and giving them to the neighbors across the street. They grow a lot of stuff in pots in there carport as it gets good sun. They grow herbs and vegetables and sell them to the local Foodstore.

Our watermelon seedlings are emerging and the kale should pop up any day now. The latest lot of mixed cherry tomatoes are flowering away. Everything is growing at a rate of knots this week from all the rain/sun/rain/sun. The beans are coming on too.

I have been researching bee keeping lately and wrote an article for living off the grid, about it. http://www.livingoffthegrid.com.au/self_sufficiency/beekeeping.html
Back to top Go down
green_dude

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:44 pm

Can I have some lettuce and spinach seedlings? Smile

Go and answer my question in the other thread - where do you live? I take it you live pretty close to us. That sounded really stalker-y but seriously I think sharing out seedlings and produce would work well once we have all got our heads around establishing our plots.

My kids are loving all the time in the backyard we can spend these days that it's not so hot here. The last week has been rainy and everything in the garden is going mental (growing wild).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bugboy

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:15 pm

Watermelons? I'm so jealous! I have one watermelon vine that was slow to germinate and I think its gone into hibernation LOL

I'm so over the rain, driving my drive way is like driving a long a muddy river at the moment, my old toyota slip sliding all over the place. The downside is, with sunshine and clear skies comes cold cold nights.
Back to top Go down
Susie Wusie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:29 am

I am back again. Yet again I need to apologise for now being around. I think about logging in to say hi and update but being a grandma is much more time consuming the I thought.

My chickens are doing well. I was worried about them with the cold but they are doing well.

Tallulah I can tell you that an orchard is a good idea depending upon what you decide to grow. I have grown lots of different fruit trees if you want any of my advise. Hopefully I may be able to help.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

General Chat

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Living Off The Grid :: -