Living Off The Grid
Please log in to join our conversations
Living Off The Grid
Please log in to join our conversations
Living Off The Grid
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Self Sufficient & Environmentally Sustainable Living

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Howdy from California
General Chat - Page 2 EmptySat May 30, 2015 7:54 pm by Gilesie

» Florida makes living off grid illegal
General Chat - Page 2 EmptySat May 30, 2015 7:50 pm by Gilesie

» Hi Introducing The Crafty Project
General Chat - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 7:47 pm by craftyproject

» Does anybody still use this forum?
General Chat - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 11:17 am by Gilesie

» Buying a grid connect solar system. Who do I go through?
General Chat - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 8:00 pm by lyarbrough

» Hello everyone,
General Chat - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 4:56 am by jimnkaran

» hello from gods country
General Chat - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 10:55 am by Gilesie

» Solar Panels leaching chemicals?
General Chat - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 8:14 pm by crossboatr

» Hi from Arkansas
General Chat - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 4:10 pm by crossboatr

Ad
Affiliates
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Ad
Affiliates
Most active topics
General Chat
What did you harvest today?
Buying a grid connect solar system. Who do I go through?
Planting for a Winter crop
Talk to me about Finger Limes
Pickled Cucumbers
Where Do You Live?
Hello I'm new and introducing myself
Carrot, Beetroot & Fig Salad
Soil Too Alkaline - How to Acidify it? (Increase the PH Levels)

General Chat

Go down 
+3
BlueSkyBee
Tallula Belle
bugboy
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
bugboy

bugboy

General Chat - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 2 EmptyThu May 31, 2012 12:29 pm

Yep, Dexters. We are going to have a heifer for milk but we will also want to keep some for meat, probably cross bred with black angus as they breed well together.

I'm plodding along too, kind of in-between seasons and crops. Everything seems to be tiny or almost done. Have a new bed ready to plant in but my seedlings seem to be taking sooooooo long since the cold snap last week.
Back to top Go down
http://towardsadream.wordpress.com
Tallula Belle

Tallula Belle

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 4:50 am

I am thinning out all of the spinach and lettuce seedlings and giving them to the neighbors across the street. They grow a lot of stuff in pots in there carport as it gets good sun. They grow herbs and vegetables and sell them to the local Foodstore.

Our watermelon seedlings are emerging and the kale should pop up any day now. The latest lot of mixed cherry tomatoes are flowering away. Everything is growing at a rate of knots this week from all the rain/sun/rain/sun. The beans are coming on too.

I have been researching bee keeping lately and wrote an article for living off the grid, about it. http://www.livingoffthegrid.com.au/self_sufficiency/beekeeping.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.livingoffthegrid.com.au
green_dude

green_dude

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 10:44 am

Can I have some lettuce and spinach seedlings? Smile

Go and answer my question in the other thread - where do you live? I take it you live pretty close to us. That sounded really stalker-y but seriously I think sharing out seedlings and produce would work well once we have all got our heads around establishing our plots.

My kids are loving all the time in the backyard we can spend these days that it's not so hot here. The last week has been rainy and everything in the garden is going mental (growing wild).

Back to top Go down
bugboy

bugboy

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 1:15 pm

Watermelons? I'm so jealous! I have one watermelon vine that was slow to germinate and I think its gone into hibernation LOL

I'm so over the rain, driving my drive way is like driving a long a muddy river at the moment, my old toyota slip sliding all over the place. The downside is, with sunshine and clear skies comes cold cold nights.
Back to top Go down
http://towardsadream.wordpress.com
Susie Wusie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 2:29 am

I am back again. Yet again I need to apologise for now being around. I think about logging in to say hi and update but being a grandma is much more time consuming the I thought.

My chickens are doing well. I was worried about them with the cold but they are doing well.

Tallulah I can tell you that an orchard is a good idea depending upon what you decide to grow. I have grown lots of different fruit trees if you want any of my advise. Hopefully I may be able to help.

Back to top Go down
Tallula Belle

Tallula Belle

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 2:12 am

Hi Susie!

Glad you are back. Yeah, I am finding that 'real life' stuff is very demanding of my time right now. Your grandchildren and children are lucky to have you.

Thank you for the offer of advice about growing fruit trees. I am interested in apples and have been researching away. The thing is, you need to do so much research, don't you, before you put any infrastructure in place?

I am going out today to buy some dwarf apple trees for the back yard. Two varieties that flower at the same time for cross pollination purposes. flower

We are also going to fence off a 60x60 metre area at our place in Northern NSW in order to plant out an orchard. flower

Back to top Go down
Susie Wusie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 3:20 am

I think my daughter and son are lucky to have me! Smile I get a huge buzz from the "Grandma, Grandma" excitement when I turn up, and to be honest, it is lovely to be able to turn up and help for a couple of days then return home. I don't remember how I could have had enough energy when I was younger to mother my children full time. But I guess I must have had so much more energy in my late twenties when they were little.

Did you end up buying your apple trees, Tallulah?

An orchard sounds lovely. Will you take some photos for us? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tallula Belle

Tallula Belle

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 4:51 am

I wish my kids had a grandma close by for those days when you are not feeling well or if you have to just get stuff done. Grandpa is a very busy man so he cant really help out. The other grandparents live O/S.

I bought:

1 x rainforest pearl finger lime
1 x barbados cherry tree (so yum!!!)
1 x pomegranate tree
1 x brown fig tree, that already has fruit on it about the size of an oblong golf ball.

Back to top Go down
1wilson

1wilson

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 10:57 am

Hi everyone,
i am newish here, and have enjoyed reading about your gardens and chickens.
I have 8 chickens, 4 brown iser, 2 plymouth roc, 1 white silky and 1 grey/brown silky.
They keep us well supplied with fresh eggs, with enough to share with family and
friends. I am a nana too, all my children (3) live within 15 minutes drive from our house.
So we see our grandchildren heaps, which is lovely. I babysit all the grandies (3)
all at the same time, every Monday so our eldest daughter and daughter in law can work.
Works out well, i get to spend time with the little people, and their mothers get some
child free time. But i agree Susie, not sure where my energy has gone that i must
have had when my own children were little,.....i sure am tired by Monday evening. Laughing
I also work 3 or 4 days a week, so garden time never seems enough.
Tallula Belle, those fruit trees sound yummy. I want to plant some fruit trees
out at our farm, but really need to do some planning on how to protect them
from the cows and where would be most convenient for when we get around
to building a house out there.
Back to top Go down
Tallula Belle

Tallula Belle

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 10:56 am

1wilson your daughter and daughter in law are lucky to have you. I love you

How lovely that you have 8 chooks. Our Rose died a few weeks back and we bought a new Rhode Island Red and Australorp to go with our Isa Brown. At first I thought there was going to be death and carnage but all seems okay now. They are getting along quite nicely thanks to some hard yakka that I put in erecting a chain wire fence along half their pen so they were separated but could still see and get used to each other. Phew.

Fruit trees really need to be fenced off from cows. Actually all new trees need to be fenced off because they are always too darn nosey or busy trampling everything. We went down to our land to fence of a orchard and there was a dead heifer in the way who passed during calving. The smell was so atrocious that we decided to look elsewhere. We eventually settled upon somewhere closer to the cabin down there that is least likely to suffer from frost. I assume frost is only an early morning thing, so where the sun touches the earth first is probably the best bet.....I hope. What do you all think?

flower
Back to top Go down
1wilson

1wilson

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 1:45 pm

HI Tallula Belle,

Chooks certainly aren't very welcoming to newbies are they Very Happy
My grey/brownish silkie bantam has hatched out two chickens.
I got 4 fertile eggs from my daughter's chooks and set her, only
two of the eggs were any good, but they are pretty cute.

You are absolutely right about cows and gardens, they wreck
things so quickly, if they don't eat it they rub on things and break
them off, or walk all over everything. Cows can be heart breakers
if they get into a garden. Look after your new trees when you
decide where to plant them. Depends what you are planting
re the frost, it doesn't seem to bother deciduous trees, but can
be vicious on some of the evergreen ones.

Was it your heifer that died? such a loss.

Take care
Wilson
Back to top Go down
til&mike

PostSubject: newcomer   General Chat - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 2:11 am

you are all very inspirational with your growing tips and tricks. I am currently renting in the hills and unable to realise our dream of sustainable living but reading forums like these are very inspirational and get me excited for when we are able to begin building our dream Smile
Back to top Go down
Tallula Belle

Tallula Belle

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 11:03 am

1wilson, no it wasn't our heifer, but the farmer's next door. He said that he had a number of heifer's that were born from the same cow that just "cant birth well".

Chooks are all in together now and getting on fine. It took 2 weeks of having the chain wire fence up between them to get them used to each other. Interestingly, it is now the point of lay chooks that are ruling the roost.

Til&mike, I am sure you will have a lot to contribute. Particularly when you start your journey to building your own dream.

flower
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

General Chat
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Living Off The Grid :: Community-
Jump to: