Living Off The Grid
Please log in to join our conversations
Living Off The Grid
Please log in to join our conversations
Living Off The Grid
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Self Sufficient & Environmentally Sustainable Living

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Howdy from California
Thinking micro hydro... EmptySat May 30, 2015 7:54 pm by Gilesie

» Florida makes living off grid illegal
Thinking micro hydro... EmptySat May 30, 2015 7:50 pm by Gilesie

» Hi Introducing The Crafty Project
Thinking micro hydro... EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 7:47 pm by craftyproject

» Does anybody still use this forum?
Thinking micro hydro... EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 11:17 am by Gilesie

» Buying a grid connect solar system. Who do I go through?
Thinking micro hydro... EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 8:00 pm by lyarbrough

» Hello everyone,
Thinking micro hydro... EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 4:56 am by jimnkaran

» hello from gods country
Thinking micro hydro... EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 10:55 am by Gilesie

» Solar Panels leaching chemicals?
Thinking micro hydro... EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 8:14 pm by crossboatr

» Hi from Arkansas
Thinking micro hydro... EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 4:10 pm by crossboatr

Ad
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Ad
Affiliates
Most active topics
General Chat
What did you harvest today?
Buying a grid connect solar system. Who do I go through?
Planting for a Winter crop
Talk to me about Finger Limes
Pickled Cucumbers
Where Do You Live?
Hello I'm new and introducing myself
Carrot, Beetroot & Fig Salad
Soil Too Alkaline - How to Acidify it? (Increase the PH Levels)

Thinking micro hydro...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jove

Thinking micro hydro... Empty
PostSubject: Thinking micro hydro...   Thinking micro hydro... EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 11:55 am

So as the topic suggest I'm thinking micro hydro. Why, well its a 24x7 power source which compared to solar and wind is outstanding. If you have a known power draw then hydro can (sometimes) flatten the peaks of solar power or wind in terms of battery storage requirements.

Bu the challenge is a regular controlled water source - either a high head or high volume as each type of hydro system is basically tuned to one or the other.

Now the question.... our block has a permanent creek that marks the boundary, which on the map is marked as the middle of the stream. This is in the country style of property boundaries - "about there ish - seems right" rather than the urban model of "your gutter is 2 mm over the boundary for the first 1m " "sigh". So, back to the question.... is the creek "crown land' or can we make use of it for power? I'm finding it difficult to get a straight answer. Does anyone have an answer?

In he mean time I've been thinking of options. The creek has lots of swimming holes that people use and I don't want to disrupt that. Plus in flood, or after heavy rain the creek can change from a 1m wide friendly stream to a 4 m wide monster that would rip anything off the bank.

So. one option is use a ram pump to move water with no power to a higher dam then use the dam as the water source. Problem here is the ram pump works due to water hammer - basic but they just keep going, limited head, small water volume delivery but persistent. I just don't see how it could keep up with a hydro system - sounds too much like a Perpetual motion machine Shocked . Which brings me back to the direct creek model.

Round and round the questions go - the creek access is key. Any help appreciated.

Back to top Go down
Susie Wusie

PostSubject: Re: Thinking micro hydro...   Thinking micro hydro... EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 12:19 am

Have you contacted your local Council to ask? What is the local Council where you are?
Back to top Go down
bugboy

bugboy

PostSubject: Re: Thinking micro hydro...   Thinking micro hydro... EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 12:25 pm

It seems to be very undefined at this stage, I think because hydro is an under utilised power source and they haven't thought to regulate it yet.

It would be worth asking your local council. Our council is pretty lax about most things (if it doesn't effect them or other rate payers too much, its ok). When I rang them about it they said that if we had legal creek access (we do, we have creek frontage as a border much like you) they couldn't see it as being any different to having a pump running from the creek (which we also have as part of our bushfire regulation compliance). Basically if our neighbour has no issue we're good to go.
Back to top Go down
http://towardsadream.wordpress.com
Tallula Belle

Tallula Belle

PostSubject: Re: Thinking micro hydro...   Thinking micro hydro... EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 2:35 am

That sounds promising, Jo. The only problem, Jove, is that the creek is about 100ft down a cliff. Laughing Or are you thinking of a separate shed with batteries, closer to the water source?
Back to top Go down
http://www.livingoffthegrid.com.au
bugboy

bugboy

PostSubject: Re: Thinking micro hydro...   Thinking micro hydro... EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 11:53 am

We were discussing this (again!) today. Other half reckons there isn't that much leakage, depending on the size of the cable, so you could just have a very long cable Laughing

We'll get there....one day Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://towardsadream.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking micro hydro...   Thinking micro hydro... Empty

Back to top Go down

Thinking micro hydro...
Page 1 of 1