Living Off The Grid
Please log in to join our conversations
Living Off The Grid
Please log in to join our conversations
Living Off The Grid
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Self Sufficient & Environmentally Sustainable Living

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Howdy from California
How our Centrex 2000 composting toilet works EmptySat May 30, 2015 7:54 pm by Gilesie

» Florida makes living off grid illegal
How our Centrex 2000 composting toilet works EmptySat May 30, 2015 7:50 pm by Gilesie

» Hi Introducing The Crafty Project
How our Centrex 2000 composting toilet works EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 7:47 pm by craftyproject

» Does anybody still use this forum?
How our Centrex 2000 composting toilet works EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 11:17 am by Gilesie

» Buying a grid connect solar system. Who do I go through?
How our Centrex 2000 composting toilet works EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 8:00 pm by lyarbrough

» Hello everyone,
How our Centrex 2000 composting toilet works EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 4:56 am by jimnkaran

» hello from gods country
How our Centrex 2000 composting toilet works EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 10:55 am by Gilesie

» Solar Panels leaching chemicals?
How our Centrex 2000 composting toilet works EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 8:14 pm by crossboatr

» Hi from Arkansas
How our Centrex 2000 composting toilet works EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 4:10 pm by crossboatr

Ad
Affiliates
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Ad
Affiliates
Most active topics
General Chat
What did you harvest today?
Buying a grid connect solar system. Who do I go through?
Planting for a Winter crop
Talk to me about Finger Limes
Pickled Cucumbers
Where Do You Live?
Hello I'm new and introducing myself
Carrot, Beetroot & Fig Salad
Soil Too Alkaline - How to Acidify it? (Increase the PH Levels)

How our Centrex 2000 composting toilet works

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tallula Belle

Tallula Belle

How our Centrex 2000 composting toilet works Empty
PostSubject: How our Centrex 2000 composting toilet works   How our Centrex 2000 composting toilet works EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 2:03 am

I have had a few friends ask me how our composting toilet works. For a little more background information, we have a bit of land in New South Wales, Australia, that is really what you would call 'off grid', a result of both location and desire to run the home as self-sufficiently as possible.

Our options here were composting toilet or septic. We went with a composting toilet. The Centrex 2000 composting toilet is a split system 500ml/half litre flush toilet which can be installed so the composting unit doesn't have to be directly beneath the pedestal. A pedestal is supplied with the unit that looks almost exactly like a regular toilet, except for the trap door in the bowl of the toilet and pedal that you push with your foot to open the 'trap door' that allows your waste and toilet paper to travel down to the composting unit by a 3 inch (75 mm) pipe. The Sun-Mar Centrex 2000 allows the installation of a split system composting toilet where there is only 900 mm between the bathroom floor and the ground. In our case the composting unit was placed on an outer edge of underneath our home for easy access. The composting unit can be up to 5 m from the pedestal.

We chose this pedestal system as we rent our bush house out to holidayers and we thought they may prefer a more regular looking toilet. Also because our oldest daughter gets very creeped out by sitting on your regular composting toilet pedestal.

For a photo of our composting unit (drum and cassette) under our house, take a look at the photo on our Facebook page below:

How does the Composting Unit work?

The horizontally mounted composting drum provides optimum composting conditions with its tumbling action to aerate and mix the contents. A liquid drain outlet is provided for any excess liquid run off that runs a fair distance away from the house, down the hill and runs off under a large gum tree (that doesn't seem to mind). The final processing is completed in the finishing tray/cassette isolated from any fresh material. The finished earth like composted humus is odourless. It is removed from the composting toilet only a few times a year and is normally used for soil improvement. Trust me, it does not smell one bit. I was wheelbarrowing it around the yard when I had morning sickness with my second born, and I didn't hurl once! lol.

So there you go. Anyone else interested in composting toilets? Any other questions? alien How our Centrex 2000 composting toilet works 426989_368942893123385_354827351201606_1344735_1743809255_n
Back to top Go down
http://www.livingoffthegrid.com.au
BlueSkyBee

BlueSkyBee

PostSubject: Re: How our Centrex 2000 composting toilet works   How our Centrex 2000 composting toilet works EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 10:49 am

That looks great Tallulah, where I am buying it has an existing septic, but I don't yet know it's age or condition,(plumbing inspection yet to be done) if I ever need to change my system, I'll be seriously looking into something like this.

What did it cost you?
Back to top Go down
Tallula Belle

Tallula Belle

PostSubject: Re: How our Centrex 2000 composting toilet works   How our Centrex 2000 composting toilet works EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 5:22 am

Hey,

I think it cost just over $2000. The not so fancy ones were a little cheaper but the only read difference was the actual toilet "pedestal" so the difference wasn't that much.

I love you
Back to top Go down
http://www.livingoffthegrid.com.au
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How our Centrex 2000 composting toilet works   How our Centrex 2000 composting toilet works Empty

Back to top Go down

How our Centrex 2000 composting toilet works
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Living Off The Grid :: Waste Management - Lets Talk Trash & Toilets :: Composting Toilets-
Jump to: