Living Off The Grid
Please log in to join our conversations
Living Off The Grid
Please log in to join our conversations
Living Off The Grid
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Self Sufficient & Environmentally Sustainable Living

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Howdy from California
Planting for a Winter crop EmptySat May 30, 2015 7:54 pm by Gilesie

» Florida makes living off grid illegal
Planting for a Winter crop EmptySat May 30, 2015 7:50 pm by Gilesie

» Hi Introducing The Crafty Project
Planting for a Winter crop EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 7:47 pm by craftyproject

» Does anybody still use this forum?
Planting for a Winter crop EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 11:17 am by Gilesie

» Buying a grid connect solar system. Who do I go through?
Planting for a Winter crop EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 8:00 pm by lyarbrough

» Hello everyone,
Planting for a Winter crop EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 4:56 am by jimnkaran

» hello from gods country
Planting for a Winter crop EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 10:55 am by Gilesie

» Solar Panels leaching chemicals?
Planting for a Winter crop EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 8:14 pm by crossboatr

» Hi from Arkansas
Planting for a Winter crop EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 4:10 pm by crossboatr

Ad
Affiliates
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Ad
Affiliates
Most active topics
General Chat
What did you harvest today?
Buying a grid connect solar system. Who do I go through?
Planting for a Winter crop
Talk to me about Finger Limes
Pickled Cucumbers
Where Do You Live?
Hello I'm new and introducing myself
Carrot, Beetroot & Fig Salad
Soil Too Alkaline - How to Acidify it? (Increase the PH Levels)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tallula Belle

Tallula Belle

Planting for a Winter crop Empty
PostSubject: Planting for a Winter crop   Planting for a Winter crop EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 8:31 am

So it's now early Autumn here in Oz. What do you plant in early Autumn so you have plenty of vegetables through Winter?

We are sowing on the weekend - zucchini and leek is on the list
Back to top Go down
http://www.livingoffthegrid.com.au
bugboy

bugboy

PostSubject: Re: Planting for a Winter crop   Planting for a Winter crop EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 11:08 pm

Kale is a big one for me. It's a leafy green and loves frosts (frost makes it sweeter). It is also very versatile (breakfast, lunch and dinner).

Onions, leeks and carrots are going in. Unfortunately because of the damage last years frosts did I'm pretty hesitant to plant any vine type plants, although I am experimenting with having some in the bush under trees. I know I can cover them every night and then uncover in the morning, but with everything else I need to do its likely to get forgotten.

Also broccoli, cauliflower not sure what else yet. I'm trying to make the most of the autumn flush at the moment Smile

Back to top Go down
http://towardsadream.wordpress.com
Tallula Belle

Tallula Belle

PostSubject: Re: Planting for a Winter crop   Planting for a Winter crop EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 11:55 pm

A friend of ours made kale chips (oven baked) and they were really nice Smile

I love silverbeet too. It's really good combined with bacon, canned tomatoes, garlic, onion and chick peas to make a Winter side dish.

Would you be able to grow more with one of those shade/green house tunnels? I spose it would keep out the wildlife too. Unless they all snuck in there and had a yummy food party Laughing

You have inspired me to grow broccoli again. I am not going to bother with carrots as our ground is quite rocky and clay and I never get a decent carrot. Woolworths sell organic carrots at a good price so although it's not very off - grid of me, it's easier in the long run, considering we go through a kilo bag every few days. Shocked

Zucchini, leek, potato, silverbeet, broccoli, pumpkin.

flower
Back to top Go down
Susie Wusie

PostSubject: Re: Planting for a Winter crop   Planting for a Winter crop EmptySat Mar 10, 2012 12:24 am

I have been spending time getting my vegetable patch composted and mixed through so that I have lots of vegetables over the chilly mountain months ahead.

I have Zucchini, leek, potato, silverbeet, broccoli, pumpkin on my list too, but my most favourites in winter are also ginger, garlic, broad beans, peas and asparagus. yummm.

I overpack once they are large seedlings. Lots of mulch. Mulch mulch mulch.

I might start a "How to protect from frost" topic.
Back to top Go down
bugboy

bugboy

PostSubject: Re: Planting for a Winter crop   Planting for a Winter crop EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 12:16 pm

So, we did some planting this weekend and I thought I'd update it in here.

We planted snow pea, broccoli, lettuce and carrot seedlings. Also, garlic bulbs (I've planted 30 so far and have about another 10 to go in - we love garlic), leek, onion and beetroot seed. Still have lots of other stuff to plant though, hopefully this week......
Back to top Go down
Tallula Belle

Tallula Belle

PostSubject: Re: Planting for a Winter crop   Planting for a Winter crop EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 4:30 am

Go you! Do you have to keep planting stuff every couple of weeks to keep the produce coming?

My zucchini, leek, potato, silverbeet, broccoli and pumpkin are all growing very slowly and the rain waterlogged a lot of it so I am sowing another lot next weekend as well and will actually sow into seedling trays this time. Sowing directly into the vegetable garden wasn't a good idea with all the rain (and a rogue puppy dog!) Evil or Very Mad Laughing

Back to top Go down
green_dude

green_dude

PostSubject: Re: Planting for a Winter crop   Planting for a Winter crop EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 9:59 am

We are planting carrot seeds, broccoli, onion, garlic, beetroot and leeks every 3 to 4 weeks now. I bought a big green house from ebay, back in Summer for my xmas present and it's rocking the seed sowing. When my partner or our boys try to help and move things around in there I must admit that I get a bit annoyed, but at least they are interested.

I have also erected some planter boxes. BIG planter boxes. I hate mowing so the whole top level of our yard has been turned into a vegetable patch that I only have to whipper snip around.

In them we have a new planter box ready for potato, when I sort out PH levels. In the other 4 I have beans and zucchini and the cucumbers still going. ANother one has the beetroot, leeks, carrots and the other two have an assortment of vegetables. All the herds are in beds closer to the house for ease of access at night when cooking.
Back to top Go down
bugboy

bugboy

PostSubject: Re: Planting for a Winter crop   Planting for a Winter crop EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 11:38 am

Awesome stuff green_dude Very Happy I love hearing what everyone else is doing in their garden.

I planted, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, onions, leeks, beetroot, kale and brussel sprouts this week.

I'm trying to do successive plantings Tallulah, but I get caught up doing other stuff and it falls by the wayside Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Tallula Belle

Tallula Belle

PostSubject: Re: Planting for a Winter crop   Planting for a Winter crop EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 3:33 am

Oh lots going on in here Very Happy

Green Dude, your garden sounds SO SIMILAR to what we are doing now and what we are planning. Is the green house one of the 4M long tunnels on Ebay for about $180? If I can keep the rats out of one then I'd be interested in getting one too. We have an upper area of our garden that I am watching for sunlight (there's a big back fence and houses up the hill so I am seeing how low the sun goes). But if the sun stays high enough, we will put big planter boxes up there too.

Yesterday we planted:

- Cherry tomatoes and sage in the bed near the house where the herbs are
- Fennel (in a dry and hot spot). I am breastfeeding and feel I need a bit of a boost so I look forward to using it.
- Wild Rocket (the thin leafed one) in the herb patch too
- Beets and Purple Broccoli in a styrofoam box. Seeing how the styro box goes and watching for white ants as well.

flower
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Planting for a Winter crop   Planting for a Winter crop Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Living Off The Grid :: Garden/Cropping - Care & Produce From :: Sowing & Planting-
Jump to: