Living Off The Grid
Please log in to join our conversations
Living Off The Grid
Please log in to join our conversations
Living Off The Grid
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Self Sufficient & Environmentally Sustainable Living

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Howdy from California
Talk to me about Finger Limes EmptySat May 30, 2015 7:54 pm by Gilesie

» Florida makes living off grid illegal
Talk to me about Finger Limes EmptySat May 30, 2015 7:50 pm by Gilesie

» Hi Introducing The Crafty Project
Talk to me about Finger Limes EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 7:47 pm by craftyproject

» Does anybody still use this forum?
Talk to me about Finger Limes EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 11:17 am by Gilesie

» Buying a grid connect solar system. Who do I go through?
Talk to me about Finger Limes EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 8:00 pm by lyarbrough

» Hello everyone,
Talk to me about Finger Limes EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 4:56 am by jimnkaran

» hello from gods country
Talk to me about Finger Limes EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 10:55 am by Gilesie

» Solar Panels leaching chemicals?
Talk to me about Finger Limes EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 8:14 pm by crossboatr

» Hi from Arkansas
Talk to me about Finger Limes EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 4:10 pm by crossboatr

Ad
Affiliates
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Ad
Affiliates
Most active topics
General Chat
What did you harvest today?
Buying a grid connect solar system. Who do I go through?
Planting for a Winter crop
Talk to me about Finger Limes
Pickled Cucumbers
Where Do You Live?
Hello I'm new and introducing myself
Carrot, Beetroot & Fig Salad
Soil Too Alkaline - How to Acidify it? (Increase the PH Levels)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tallula Belle

Tallula Belle

Talk to me about Finger Limes Empty
PostSubject: Talk to me about Finger Limes   Talk to me about Finger Limes EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 1:00 pm

As the title says.

What do you know about growing them? Do you grow them? What are your observations?

BIG thanks. flower
Back to top Go down
http://www.livingoffthegrid.com.au
Tallula Belle

Tallula Belle

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Finger Limes   Talk to me about Finger Limes EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 2:47 am

A comment on the Daley'ssite

Kathy's Edible Fruits
Update: 240 days 18hrs
Comments: -
Mine never seems to know what it's doing. It flowers and fruits all year round and seems to prefer a pot to the ground. The flowers are a lovely pink and white and the fruit are decorative, really obvious against the small leaves.

It is VERY spikey so don't plants it in a walk-way.

I love it. It is one of my favourites.

Make sure that you tip prune to keep him bushy and watch out for ants farming scale on him.

Fruiting Months January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
Planted: 2007
Height 1.5 metres
Growing: In a Pot
Qty: 1
Fruit Harvest: 1 kilograms per Year
Sun/Shade: Medium Sun
Water Given in: Spring
Pollination: No
Fertiliser or Organics Used: chicken poo (one small amount though!), seasol, charlie carp, worm castings (all in rotation)oh and get your man to wee on it like any other citrus they LOVE it
Pest Control:
Small spiders do seem to like living in the new growth which kills it = remove as best you can with a stick
Back to top Go down
Tallula Belle

Tallula Belle

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Finger Limes   Talk to me about Finger Limes EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 1:06 am

Back to top Go down
Susie Wusie

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Finger Limes   Talk to me about Finger Limes EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 3:17 am

I have never heard of them before, WOW. Do they taste exactly like limes do?

If I saw a black fruit that looked like that on a tree I would be scared to even try it. affraid
Back to top Go down
Tallula Belle

Tallula Belle

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Finger Limes   Talk to me about Finger Limes EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 4:49 am

My neighbour across the road gave me a pink one to try about a month ago. She cut it open and all these little caviar like crystals of lime fell into my hand. It tasted delicious.

I went to an awesome nursery on the weekend that sells lots of exotic plants and fruit trees. I bought a rainforest pearl finger lime tree. It already stands at about 4 foot tall so it's probably 2 or 3 years old already. It has been grafted too so I should get flowers (and then fruit) in a few months.

I will keep you posted and take pictures etc. flower
Back to top Go down
bugboy

bugboy

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Finger Limes   Talk to me about Finger Limes EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 10:15 am

I have two finger limes. One black and one green. They do taste like lime and are quite cool as they pop and release the flavour in your mouth.

Mine are grafted, as root development can be a problem, the graft they use seems to make them grow sturdier and fruit sooner.

They are super spiky and sharp, I inevitably end up with cuts and nicks when I harvest them, even with gloves on.

Mine also fruits most of the year round, but I do get a bigger crop around autumn/winter.

My kids love them, which I think is hilarious as they won't touch normal limes.

I use them mostly in desserts (I think you've tried my finger lime pie Tallula?), they work great in salad dressing too giving those pops of flavour. You can also freeze them whole and the pearls stay intact.

We feed ours citrus boosting food once a year and some old chook manure when I don't have somewhere else for it to go.
Back to top Go down
http://towardsadream.wordpress.com
nicolejohn

PostSubject: spa in british virgin island   Talk to me about Finger Limes EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 11:18 pm

The Finger Lime plant, Citrus australasica is a thorny understorey shrub or small tree of lowland subtropical rainforest and dry rainforest in the coastal border region of Queensland and New South Wales, Australia.

The plant is 2-7 metres in height. Leaves are small, 1-6 cm long and 3-25 mm wide, glabrous, with a notched tip and crenate towards the apex. Flowers are white with petals 6-9 mm long. The fruit is cylindrical, 4-8 cm long, sometimes slightly curved, coming in different colours, including pink and green.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thespaatbeyc.com/
Frank007

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Finger Limes   Talk to me about Finger Limes EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 9:26 pm

Finger lime juice cells are used as a component and garnish in food preparation. The small colored pearl of juice burst open when eaten, providing a boost of citrusy taste to both sweet and savory foods. Several companies currently market the inner fruit of finger lime as a type of "citrus caviar."

bowel movement problems
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Finger Limes   Talk to me about Finger Limes Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Living Off The Grid :: Garden/Cropping - Care & Produce From :: Fruit & Fruit Trees-
Jump to: