Living Off The Grid
Please log in to join our conversations
Living Off The Grid
Please log in to join our conversations
Living Off The Grid
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Self Sufficient & Environmentally Sustainable Living

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Howdy from California
Hello I'm new and introducing myself EmptySat May 30, 2015 7:54 pm by Gilesie

» Florida makes living off grid illegal
Hello I'm new and introducing myself EmptySat May 30, 2015 7:50 pm by Gilesie

» Hi Introducing The Crafty Project
Hello I'm new and introducing myself EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 7:47 pm by craftyproject

» Does anybody still use this forum?
Hello I'm new and introducing myself EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 11:17 am by Gilesie

» Buying a grid connect solar system. Who do I go through?
Hello I'm new and introducing myself EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 8:00 pm by lyarbrough

» Hello everyone,
Hello I'm new and introducing myself EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 4:56 am by jimnkaran

» hello from gods country
Hello I'm new and introducing myself EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 10:55 am by Gilesie

» Solar Panels leaching chemicals?
Hello I'm new and introducing myself EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 8:14 pm by crossboatr

» Hi from Arkansas
Hello I'm new and introducing myself EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 4:10 pm by crossboatr

Ad
Affiliates
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Ad
Affiliates
Most active topics
General Chat
What did you harvest today?
Buying a grid connect solar system. Who do I go through?
Planting for a Winter crop
Talk to me about Finger Limes
Pickled Cucumbers
Where Do You Live?
Hello I'm new and introducing myself
Carrot, Beetroot & Fig Salad
Soil Too Alkaline - How to Acidify it? (Increase the PH Levels)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Oceanvsta

Oceanvsta

Hello I'm new and introducing myself Empty
PostSubject: Hello I'm new and introducing myself   Hello I'm new and introducing myself EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 3:10 am

Hello,
My name is Nat and 2 and a bit years ago we purchases 5 acres of ex farming land in a low rainfall area of South Australia. (Not one tree on the place and you can imagine the quality of the soil and wind erosion).
With in that two years we have;
Fenced the place to keep stock out.
Planted 1500 native seedlings sourced from Trees for life and Arid Lands Botanical
Direct Seeded approx 6kms of native seed.
Soil prep for future fruit orchid.
Weed control without chemicals.(not sure if we are winning this one)
Built a shed for large water collection.
Installed a Stand alone Solar System.
During this process we have been roughing it on our block living very simply when we are not working away.

We have plenty to do and a lot to learn.
My ultimate goal is to have a native oasis for the local birds and a private paradise called home for us.
A small hydro vegetable garden and fruit orchid.Chickens for eggs and meat. All this with minimal bills to pay and reducing our footprint.

Recent inspirations reading Beyond the Brink and discovering a new species of bird on our block this week we have not seen here before.
And it's RAINING today!!! Yay

That's a summary of me and why I want to be part of this forum, live and learn.

Back to top Go down
Tallula Belle

Tallula Belle

PostSubject: Re: Hello I'm new and introducing myself   Hello I'm new and introducing myself EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 2:14 am

Hey Nat,

Welcome welcome welcome!

Your story so far is very inspirational and you have done so much. cheers Thank you for coming on board, it is so wonderful to have another like-minded person around to get to know. I am in South East Queensland and we have had so much rain for the last 18 months and I am not sick of it yet, so the rain where you are must be a beautiful site to behold. Did you dance in it?

Looking forward to becoming more self sufficient with you. flower
Back to top Go down
http://www.livingoffthegrid.com.au
Oceanvsta

Oceanvsta

PostSubject: Re: Hello I'm new and introducing myself   Hello I'm new and introducing myself EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 7:44 am

Thanks Tallulah,
No dancing in the rain but it was pretty close. Alot of yahooing and maybe a punch in the air. I could almost hear a sigh of relief from the seedlings.
I can't wait to spend time on here and get to know some crew and see what they're upto. I'm off to work and out of range for 3 weeks now So until then...
Back to top Go down
Susie Wusie

PostSubject: Re: Hello I'm new and introducing myself   Hello I'm new and introducing myself EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 11:38 pm

Hello Nat, you have been a busy bee on your new property. It sounds as though you have done so much already. I would love to hear more about your story too and learn from you and your experiences.

Did your water collection manage to collect a fair deal of rain for you yesterday? Who waters your seedlings for you while you are gone?

I suppose you wont be back for 3 weeks but just asking my nosey questions now before I forget to ask later. I would love to rig up automatic water feeding systems here or aquaponics with fish.

Back to top Go down
Oceanvsta

Oceanvsta

PostSubject: Back Home for a week   Hello I'm new and introducing myself EmptySun May 13, 2012 5:54 am

Hi I'm back in the land of the living for a week.

Although the rainfall was minimal over the 3 weeks we have been at work, we have a fair bit more in the tank so that's great. The seedlings are looking happier along with the lincoln weed.

To answer Susie's question the seedlings have to survive with out us. Luckily the last two years have been wetter than normal so our loss rate has been only approx 30% but we had been expecting 50% to 60% so very luck there.This year is looking a lot drier...
If we happen to be home over summer and expect a heat wave we will deep water everything once. I'd say all up every seedling has had a deep water maybe 3-4 times over two years but it's a big job.
We have had to plant selected hardy natives to the area and if they struggle early on they just don't make it.
We discussed a watering system but with a mouse plague the last two seasons decided it wouldn't be worthwhile.
We have had a trial run with hydroponic veges last spring while we where home for a 6-8 week stretch and that was great. Most veges grew fast enough in that time frame but eventually the other half wants to set up a aquaponics system. We might play around with that this spring .
Our new project over the next 2 months or so is an ablution block; solar shower, compost toilet and laundry.
I will be researching solar hot water systems this week....and a little R & R.

Back to top Go down
Tallula Belle

Tallula Belle

PostSubject: Re: Hello I'm new and introducing myself   Hello I'm new and introducing myself EmptyTue May 15, 2012 6:23 am

Hey, welcome back! I hope you get some rest.

flower
Back to top Go down
http://www.livingoffthegrid.com.au
green_dude

green_dude

PostSubject: Re: Hello I'm new and introducing myself   Hello I'm new and introducing myself EmptySun May 27, 2012 2:17 am

Hi Oceanvsta,

Welcome aboard! I like the sound of your set and and looking forward to seeing what you get up to in the future.

GD.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello I'm new and introducing myself   Hello I'm new and introducing myself Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1