Living Off The Grid
Please log in to join our conversations
Living Off The Grid
Please log in to join our conversations
Living Off The Grid
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Self Sufficient & Environmentally Sustainable Living

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Howdy from California
Hello again EmptySat May 30, 2015 7:54 pm by Gilesie

» Florida makes living off grid illegal
Hello again EmptySat May 30, 2015 7:50 pm by Gilesie

» Hi Introducing The Crafty Project
Hello again EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 7:47 pm by craftyproject

» Does anybody still use this forum?
Hello again EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 11:17 am by Gilesie

» Buying a grid connect solar system. Who do I go through?
Hello again EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 8:00 pm by lyarbrough

» Hello everyone,
Hello again EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 4:56 am by jimnkaran

» hello from gods country
Hello again EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 10:55 am by Gilesie

» Solar Panels leaching chemicals?
Hello again EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 8:14 pm by crossboatr

» Hi from Arkansas
Hello again EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 4:10 pm by crossboatr

Ad
Affiliates
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Ad
Affiliates
Most active topics
General Chat
What did you harvest today?
Buying a grid connect solar system. Who do I go through?
Planting for a Winter crop
Talk to me about Finger Limes
Pickled Cucumbers
Where Do You Live?
Hello I'm new and introducing myself
Carrot, Beetroot & Fig Salad
Soil Too Alkaline - How to Acidify it? (Increase the PH Levels)

Hello again

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
1wilson

1wilson

Hello again Empty
PostSubject: Hello again   Hello again EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 11:31 am

Hello,
I am Wilson, i have already written a introduction and it appears to have disappeared into the Ethernet :-(
So at the risk of repeating myself. My husband and i live in a big regional town in Victoria, Australia.
We have a small suburban house block and a 100 acres a short way out of town, where we would like to build an off grid solar passive, sustainable house.....maybe straw bale. Here in town, i grow vegetables in a raised garden bed and over the last year have dabbled in setting up two small hydroponic gardens. One on the fence near the vegie patch and one in a small non heated hot house with varying success. We have chickens for eggs and they also take care of the composting for me. On the farm we raise sheep, cows and grow some hay, the cows recycle the hay and provide me with plenty of manure for the garden. I just love gardening, and could easily give up work and spend more time gardening.........but the need for an income keeps my nose to the grindstone. I enjoy meeting others who also enjoy gardening, and am looking forward to learning from those here that have any experience in building.
Back to top Go down
Tallula Belle

Tallula Belle

Hello again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello again   Hello again EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 2:07 am

Welcome Wilson!

Wow, it sounds like we will be learning a lot from you then. You have come to the right place to meet like-minded gardeners, that is for sure. My grandfather used to grow hydroponic veges back in the 80's with huge success. I'd like to hear more about your hydro adventures.

My DH and I bought a property 4 years ago and put a removable house on it and did some off-grid stuff - solar, composting toilet, grey water, rain water harvesting. Go to www.koreelah.com.au to check it out. We can answer any queries you may have around the set up.

Good to have you here. flower
Back to top Go down
http://www.livingoffthegrid.com.au
1wilson

1wilson

Hello again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello again   Hello again EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 9:00 am

Thanks Tallula Belle,

Koreelah looks great, and yes i am sure i will have heaps of questions for you as we get closer to starting our adventure. We are really looking forward to moving out to the farm, and i am researching everywhere i can to get ideas for what sort of house to build. The only thing i am fixed on, is trying to be as off grid as possible. So want to build whichever style of house will give us the best chance to do that. Do you live on your Koreelah property as well, or just have the holiday place? looks like an amazing place.

As to the hydroponics, i have had some success and some failures, but it is fun, and a learning curve.
Back to top Go down
til&mike

Hello again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello again   Hello again EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 1:56 am

Hi There Wilson,

I have only quickly read your post but i read that you wish to build the most sustainable house possible. Have you heard of or researched what is called an earthship?
My partner and I are currently looking into it and it is very promising. At the moment a lot of the earthships that exist are in America, where they began in the desert there. However there are a few here in Australia and with slight modifications appear to be doing just as well.
I would post the link on here but as I am a very fresh member of this site I am unable to. So I would say google australian earthships and click on the sustainable green buildings - earthship dot com slash australia link Smile

Just food for thought:)

Tilly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hello again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello again   Hello again Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello again
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Living Off The Grid :: Living Off The Grid :: Please Introduce Yourself & Say Hi Here-
Jump to: